The Nashville Songwriters Association International (NSAI) hosted its 2nd annual Nashville Songwriter Awards at the Ryman Auditorium on Sept. 17.
In addition to performances by Reba McEntire, Sam Hunt, Dierks Bentley, Florida Georgia Line, Chris Janson, Jason Aldean, Lee Brice, David Lee Murphy, Dean Dillon and more, the NSAI handed out a number of awards, including:
- Kris Kristofferson Lifetime Achievement Award: Loretta Lynn
- President’s Keystone Award: George Strait
- The White Hat Award: Senator Lamar Alexander
- Songwriter/Artist of the Year: Luke Combs
- Songwriter of the Year: Josh Osborne
- Song of the Year: “Break Up In the End” by Cole Swindell; Writers: Chase McGill, Jessie Jo Dillon, Jon Nite
- “10 Songs I Wish I’d Written” Awards:
- “Meant to Be” by Florida Georgia Line; Writers: Bebe Rexha, David Garcia, Josh Miller, Tyler Hubbard
- “Whiskey Glasses” by Morgan Wallen; Writers: Ben Burgess, Kevin Kadish
- “Drunk Girl” by Chris Janson; Writers: Chris Janson, Scooter Carusoe, Tom Douglas
- “God’s Country” by Blake Shelton; Writers: Devin Dawson, Jordan Schmidt, Michael Hardy
- “Burning Man” by Dierks Bentley; Writers: Bobby Pinson, Luke Dick
- “Tequila” by Dan + Shay: Writers: Dan Smyers, Jordan Reynolds, Nicolle Galyon
- “Some of It” by Eric Church; Writers: Bobby Pinson, Clint Daniels, Eric Church, Jeff Hyde
- “Everything’s Gonna Be Alright” by David Lee Murphy; Writers: Chris Stevens, David lee Murphy, Jimmy Yeary
- “Up Down” by Morgan Wallen; Writers: Brad Clawson, CJ Solar, Hardy
- “Drowns the Whiskey” by Jason Aldean feat. Miranda Lambert; Writers: Brandon Kinney, Jeff Middleton, Josh Thompson
Loretta Lynn received the Kris Kristofferson Lifetime Achievement Award in recognition of her contributions to the American songbook and inspiring the careers of others, while George Strait was honored with the President’s Keystone Award in recognition of his contributions toward the betterment of all songwriters.
The Nashville Songwriter Awards were presented by the world’s largest not-for-profit songwriters trade organization that was established in 1967. The Nashville Songwriter Awards are voted by members of NSAI.
photos by Curtis Hilbun, AFF-USA.com